Thursday 9 July 2015

The Folklore of Discworld

I've never been all that interested by books about 'The Science of Star Trek', for example. It seems to me that wherever and to what extent I don't already understand the science involved in Star Trek on the basis of my A-level in Physics and general scientific curiosity, I'm probably never going to get it. I maxed out on science at A-levels. I'm also afraid that the really interesting bits will turn out to have been made up. The Science of Discworld was a different proposition. Since it was based around a fantasy series, and not science fiction, it didn't offer to immediately get mired in the hinterland between my own understanding and things far beyond my ken. I very much enjoyed the first two, and look forward to reading the others some day. It was thus with some anticipation that I picked up an audiobook of The Folklore of Discworld, read by Michael Fenton Stephens.

Sadly - and I've been putting this review off for weeks because I didn't want to say this - I found it lacking. I think this is my own fault in part. The book is an exploration of the Discworld's folklore and an expansion on its sources, where I was hoping for something which more looked at our folklore through the eyes of the Disc, as the Science series did. I also found the repeated suggestion that Earth folklore mirrored the Disc to be disingenuous after the third or fourth repeat.

The Folklore of Discworld is not a bad book, it's just much more a book about the Discworld than it is a book about folklore.

No comments:

Post a Comment